[mythtv-users] Airplay Support?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:12:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 18 October 2011 17:30, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> XBMC

> airplayer
> >>
> >> The backend stuff just looks like a series of wrapper commands to
> interact
> >> with a piece of software and telling it to play a given URL as well as
> >> stop/start/etc. commands.  MythTV already has a telnet interface with a
> PLAY
> >> command.  It seems like it would be easy for the backend script to
> simply
> >> open the frontend telnet port and issue:
> >> play file URL
> >> and then also issue pause/play commands as needed
> >> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Telnet#play
> >
> > Nevermind.  It seems I missed that it's a myth:// URL only.  But that
> does
> > seem the logical place in code to add support to play any URL by invoking
> > the player.
>
> You should find it'll work with any supported url. In master that is
> myth://, http:// (a bit hit and miss at the moment) or a plain local
> file url. It's not clear to me what the url in this case is however.

That's excellent.  I wondered if that was the case as I remember some
commits improving the general URL/file handling.  Airplay is primarily based
on RTSP but streaming video is far more complicated than pointing a player
at a URL.  It does seem that it would be fairly trivial to test by getting
the URL from this python wrapper and feeding it to mythavtest (or whatever
it is called in master) and seeing what it does with it.

Kevin