[mythtv-users] Hauppauge nova-t 500 LNA seems to drop off

Glen glen.hawksworth at bigpond.com
Tue Oct 18 11:28:33 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I have two of the nova-t 500 DVB tuner cards and have been working with
several of them in six or more systems over many years.
If I don't activate the LNA I typically see about 30-40% signal. After
LNA is activated I get 60-70% signal.

My problem is that in the last few days I have had my signal dropping to
30-40% on both cards and consequently get missing or garbled recordings.
The first time it happened sometime on Sunday evening. On the following
morning (when I noticed a bad recording and then checked liveTV to get
no lock) I shutdown the backend and then switched it back on... no
change. Then I opened up /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf (mythbuntu 10.10)
to check it, made no changes, shutdown again, powered back on and the
signal had jumped back up 60-70% on both cards.

It happened again tonight halfway through a recording. This time I
plugged in an external TV antenna amplifier to boost the signal (because
I wanted to try and catch the recordings rather than stuff around) and I
got back up to 60-70%.

I plan to look in to this more tomorrow but wondered if anyone else has
had problems with their nova-T?

Also I would appreciate any tips on how to test my system for this
problem. At this stage my only game plan is some trial and error with
the external signal amp and checking the signal levels on liveTV.

Thanks,
Glen