[mythtv-users] ZFS anyone? Need to move off ZFS Myth machine and not sure what to do..

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:18:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> On 10/14/11 10:50, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I was able to build and package zfs pretty easily. I'm not sure what
>> the DKMS package does on Ubuntu since the build process did not seem
>> to require kernel-devel. It does have a package called "zfs-dracut"
>> which makes the initrd zfs aware. It also installs a sysv init script.
>> I searched around for a systemd unit file but that appears to still be
>> a work in progress.
>
> It requires dkms, which in turn "recommends" linux-headers, which is the
> ubuntu equivalent of kernel-devel.

I missed the fact that there are two spec files in the source, one of
the utilities and one for the kernel module. What a mess. Usually
there's a 1:1 relationship for spec files to source packages. It would
be cleaner to package the utilities in one source package and the
kernel modules in another. Yuck.

> Speaking of the init script.. I forgot that I needed to patch the init
> script as described in bug 381:
>
> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/381

I'm not to that point yet :) But thanks for the link.

Richard