[mythtv-users] ZFS anyone? Need to move off ZFS Myth machine and not sure what to do..

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:07:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 00:29, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
> i dont have much to add for this thread, but as a note for the future; BTRFS
> looks like linux' answer to ZFS.
> it's not quiet there yet, but it seems alot/all the key features from ZFS
> seem to be planned or already implemented (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs for more info).

I am not sure you can say btrfs is linux' answer to zfs.
It is probably more correct to say that btrfs is a modern
file system for linux that happens to share many of
the same advanced features as zfs and other modern
file system.  And both will continue to evolve and
improve.  But both also have features that the other
does not (and will not) have due to differing philosophies
and design points.  Some of the features missing in
the other are compelling reasons to chose one over
the other on a system, if all else would be equal.  Things
are rarely otherwise equal, and the reality is that the
filesystem and the os decisions are intertwined.    I do
believe btrfs is what most people running on linux will
end up using.  I am among them for some of my linux
systems.  I also will continue to run zfs on some of
my other servers (not running linux) for other features.