[mythtv-users] Secrets for low powered front ends ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Oct 13 15:15:50 UTC 2011

On 10/13/2011 10:23, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 11-10-12 03:17 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> Foxconn MiniITX H67 board            $55
> But this is a GMA HD video, yes?  Why don't I want Nvidia given all of
> Nvidia/VDPAU drum pounding that goes on here?

It's a sad consequence of nVidia not being partnered with any CPU
manufacturer, and being pushed out of the embedded graphics market.  You
end up with a couple options.

1) Go ION, with hardware decoding, and the lack of safety net that a
decent CPU affords.

2) Go Intel, and deal with the less capable, experimental hardware
decoding, graphics drivers without the niceties like stored EDID that
nVidia has, but with a processor capable of handling pretty much
whatever you want in software.

3) Go mobile, with an older Mac Mini or Asrock Vision, and the high
prices that result as a consequence.  Alternatively, something like
Zotac's Z68ITX-B-E may be a worthwhile middleground

4) Use discrete graphics, and suffer through a significantly larger
system that is hard to hide behind a TV.

5) Use AMD and a Llano CPU, taking your fate into your own hands.

If I were to buy a new system right now, I would go for #2.  That ZOTAC
board in #3 is an interesting alternative, but at 60% higher cost than
the i3 or ION systems, it's a hard sell for nicer drivers.