[mythtv-users] OK. Which Video Capture Card is the best.

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Oct 11 02:48:46 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 7:45 PM, Keith Vance wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 7:09 PM, Keith Vance wrote:
>>> I have been struggling to no end to get my pcHDTV HD-5500 card to function properly on Ubuntu for way too long.
>> Odd... I have (2) 5500's and they both have worked flawlessly with LinHES (KnoppMyth) and hopefully soon CentOS
>>> It used to work, but I can't get it back to functioning. I can get HD channels to work great, but the analog video either is complete rubbish or it's really poor quality.
>> Is your Comcast area even still supporting Analog? (They shut it down here except for just a small handful of channels)
> Hmm, maybe I'm confused. I need to look at my setup again.

Also, keep in mind, the pcHDTV (IIRC) are "capture cards" in analog mode and need a lot more CPU capability vs ATSC mode (where the stream coming off is straight to disk for all intense purposes -- anyone can correct me if I have this misunderstood)...

SOoooo.. if your CPU is pretty busy, Analog reception might suffer... but also, Comcast has pretty much been on a witch-hunt to shutdown Analog.

Let me know if I can help somehow even though my setup is different.

Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Email: bkamen AT benjammin DOT net       Web: http://www.benjammin.net