[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Oct 8 18:54:54 UTC 2011

On 10/8/2011 13:10, linux guy wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/8/2011 11:30, linux guy wrote:
>     > Ignoring the usual DB/DVD decoding issues, how might I set up my
>     myth
>     > system so that any front end can play a DVD using the optical
>     drive on
>     > the back end ?
>
>     See previous thread here...
>     http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/491724
>

> What I was hoping someone would tell me is to share the optical drive
> via NFS or Samba, make a local mount on the front ends for it, then
> set the DVD parameter Myth on the front ends to the local mount.
> Then simply play the DVD like you normally do.

That's somewhat possible.  Playback should work in that scenario,
however you would need some daemon running on the server to
automatically mount the optical drive locally, and another running on
the client to automatically mount the NFS share once the disk were
mounted on the server.  The idea with the nbd/iscsi/ataoe solutions were
that the client were given direct access to the device to make much of
this happen automatically.

Additionally, without local access to the drive, none of the
mediamonitor stuff will work.  MythTV will be unable to detect insertion
of a disc into the optical drive, and will be unable to act on it.

> I'd like something where the user (ie my wife, friends, etc) pop a
> disk in the server drive and then start watching it without having to
> know VLC, server:5100/title0.ts, etc.

That is a long term goal.  0.25 has a new experimental and largely
untested application named 'mythmediaserver'.  This application allows
you to serve up files stored in storage groups without the overhead and
complication of a full tunerless backend.  The plan is to eventually
move all media access into the backend and media server, accessed over
the backend protocol.

You would run one of these on any system where you had removable media.
It would run the media monitor, and handle any local processing that may
need to be done with direct access.  Insertions and removals would be
broadcast to any frontend that cared through the event system.
Frontends local and remote would then be able to access that content as
desired.