[mythtv-users] home videos
vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 02:58:15 UTC 2011
The recent question about "school me on playing vids in myth"
reminded me of a question I've had for some time; (how) do people
use myth to view home-generated video, from a video camera etc.?
There's been relatively little discussion of this , I'd like to put together
some suggestions as an addition to the wiki page .
Just off the cuff, it seems like the workflow would be
* (one-time) set up video storage groups (a separate group?)
* (possibly) transcode to a supported format
* upload files to the directories named in the storage group
* retitle files if necessary
* generate keyframes, eg
ffmpeg -y -i INPUTFILENAME -vframes 1 -ss 00:00:10 -s 320x240 OUTPUT.png
and upload to (screenshots? coverart? fanart?)
It would be nice to provide some metadata, as well. The requirements seem
to be different though:
* the filename may not necessarily be the 'title' you want to use for
the item 
* you probably want the exact date, not just the year
* you may want to add tags: things like location, event name (eg
people depicted, who shot the video, etc.
A lot of this could be handled with a 'Description' field.
Some container formats allow this (eg EXIF tags), some don't. It doesn't seem
like myth has much support for metadata tags like this, but I haven't checked
I haven't tried any of this, I'm just thinking about it a bit first.
More information about the mythtv-users