[mythtv-users] Question on Component Output

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 3 13:51:51 UTC 2011

After helping a neighbour move some furniture, I ended up
troubleshooting her Bell ExpressVu setup. I had never seen the satellite
output, and expected a reasonably good HD picture.

But she was not getting HD. Turned out, the TV was actually being fed
from composite + left and right audio.
The component output from the Bell 6141 STB gave the usual great HD
picture BUT no audio.

She was REALLY impressed when she saw the actual HD. NFL football really
DOES look a whole lot better in HD, even if you don't generally watch
football. Didn't hurt that the game was being played in bright sunshine!

She's been watching for *3* years in SD only, although paying for HD.
Naturally, the installation was done by 'certified' Bell techs...and
they have been back since the original install, to move the dish....

Eventually I got things working, with audio, by using component (three
cable) PLUS left and right audio.

 From many discussions here, re HDPVR-1212's, I thought component
carried ALL the signal.

Was I wrong, or is the Bell STB somewhat misconfigured?

              R. Geoffrey Newbury