[mythtv-users] new to MythTV - general questions

Chris Kapp chris.kapp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:50:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Joel <not12listen at gmail.com> wrote:
> firstly, i just joined the MythTV forum and mailing list a few days ago.
>
> secondly, i am just trying to get an understanding of what hardware is
> needed to get a MythTV box working.  so, here is my situation...
>
> Dish Network is my tv signal provider (not switching back to Comcast -
> hate it)
>
> i have an AMD 3800+ X2 (64bit) machine sitting here, aching to be put to
> good use.
>
> it has no capture card of any kind.  i was looking into purchasing an
> Hauppauge HD PVR 1212, and linking the Dish Network box to the HD PVR
> via Component cables, then to my tv.  the HD PVR would be connected to
> my MythTV machine by USB.  i would use this machine solely as the 'back
> end' machine, and use an identical machine (that has an nVidia card) for
> displaying the videos.
>
> so...  does this sound correct?  am i missing anything?
>
> thanks!
>
> - joel -

Hello,
I have a very similar setup.  I am using using Shawdirect (Canadian
Satellite provider).  I have it connected to the HD-PVR.  The HD-PVR
does come with the an IR Blaster that you will need to use to control
the STB.  At the moment, I am not using the blaster on the HD-PVR.

You will find the CPU is not powerful enough to play the recordings
from the HD-PVR.  You will want to get a Nvidia video card capable of
doing VDPAU.  (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU)  I have a Nvidia 430
card and it works great.