[mythtv-users] FYI: harmony 650 37.99 @ costco (instant 17 rebate)

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Wed Nov 30 18:13:04 UTC 2011

> >> On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:11 AM, "Gabe Rubin"
> > I think that the remote works a little simpler than you describe. I have a
> > Harmony 600 remote which *almost* works the way I want it, and it is possible
> > that other Harmony remotes may work differently, YMMV.
> >
> > I believe that the Harmony keeps an internal state for each of the programmed
> > devices, so that it 'knows' when something is supposed to be on or off. This is
> > why when your TV is already on and you switch inputs it doesn't send another
> > power-toggle command to the TV but only sends them to the other devices as required.
> >
> > So, if a cushion gets in the way and a command gets missed the remote "thinks"
> > everything has worked and you therefore need to use the "Help" button to
> > resynchronize it with reality. Although some devices may use hidden codes I
> > don't think they all do.

I think that is right if it doesn't have a power on exclusive button,
but mine works the way I said if it has the exclusive power on button on
the device; I think this, because I think I manually shut off the TV and
hit the Watch TV button and it came back on when I did my setup.  Though
now that I think about it, it might be that *I* programmed it that
way... memory is fazy and I am at work.

It is a neat idea when it works, but lots of time/situations it
doesn't... it would be nice to give someone the OPTION to make it just a
plain learning/universal remote, which with the windows software you
can.. you just have to lie to the remote; lie about needing the TV to do
something, lie to the remote about one of the option buttons and
manually program in "learning" style your tv and input button and then
go about your business.  A bit of work, to be sure.  Should it take
hours to get this stuff working?  Probably not, but then again most
people would buy a DVR instead of making one out of your computer :)

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com