[mythtv-users] Anyone using Sandy Bridge graphics in a front end?

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:58:23 UTC 2011

Just wondering if anyone out there is using Intel's Sandy Bridge graphics
for their front-end display adapter?

Note that I'm talking about using them as a simple display device only, not
about using the video decode functionality. In other words, software
decoding.

When these chips were first released several months ago, Linux graphics
support was rather flaky. Now I can't find much recent info about the
status of SNB graphics on Linux... Surely things have improved?

It's frustrating that discrete nvidia graphics are practically a
requirement for HD media on Linux. In theory, SNB is ideal, since they have
everything on one package, with low power consumption and very capable CPUs.

Anyway, if you've managed to get a stable FE running with SNB, I'm curious
as to how it's working for you. Eg, what distro? And did you have to jump
through any hoops to make it work?

Thanks,
Matt