[mythtv-users] FYI: harmony 650 37.99 @ costco (instant 17 rebate)

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 19:11:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:37 AM, MythTV <mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:
>> On 11/29/2011 08:16 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> I don't like the activity mode because if one signal does not get
>>> received by a device you have no way of "repeating" it without
>>> choosing something else. A real PITA when you hit the "off" button and
>>> one device doesn't work, you then have to hit an activity button to
>>> turn everything on before being able to repeat the off button. WHAT?!
>>
>> On all of my hamony remotes, there is a help button.  It solves this
>> problem without resorting to changing activities because of a missed IR
>> signal.
>>
>> Michael
>
> I'll have to try that. Though I really do wish I could just hit the
> button again, but that is apparently too difficult of a concept for
> users to understand...

How would the remote know which device is on or off and which power on
codes to resend (which is typically the same as a power off code)?

As an example, I leave my tv and receiver off when not in use.  When I
use my Harmony to watch tv or watch myth, it turns on the tv, sets it
to the correct input, turns on the receiver, and sets that to the
right input.  There are times when the receiver is not quite in the
sight of the remote, in which case, the receiver does not turn on.
When that happens, I hit the power off button to restart the sequence,
being careful to keep the remote out of the receivers line of sight
(or else it will turn on the receiver).  It takes a few extra seconds,
but it is not that big of a deal.

I can't imagine how else this could be accomplished by a universal
remote (other than individually turning on the receiver by switching
the remote to device mode or using the help functionality -- both
options of the remote).  Without the receiver and tv giving the remote
some feedback, which afaik, is impossible, there is no other way to do
this.