[mythtv-users] Playback of encrypted dvd iso images from storage group

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 18:29:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 09:24 -0700, Tyler T wrote:
> > I'm well aware that several devs have publicly criticised my
> > contributions (NIH is a wonderful virtue), and that anything to do with
> > media copying, ripping and decryption is taboo, so it's pointless
> > submitting these patches to Trac.
>
> I read your thread on -dev and didn't see anyone discouraging your
> patches on the basis of "piracy!" (though maybe you got some off-list
> emails that did).

No direct, in the open, criticism about 'piracy' but when it comes to
copying or ripping, just a great deal of inertia.  The criticism seems
to be that my patches are just too big.  I sense sensitive toes.

>  Playback of encrypted DVDs seems to have at least
> the tacit approval of the devs or else the option on the FE menu would
> refuse to do it. And so far as I know (IANAL), making backups of your
> DVDs is allowed by copyright laws and storing them encrypted should
> not break the DMCA either.
>
> Rather, the main objection to your earlier patch seemed to be the lack
> of SG support -- and now that you have that, I think your patches
> would be welcomed.

I don't believe so.  I submitted patches to MythMusic to replace the
obsolete libcdaudio with libcdio and hence allow CD ripping, playback
and cddb lookup on Win32 systems.  These were submitted over a year ago
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9362 and have been ignored.  Most
likely they're useless now as the code has moved on considerably.

The DVD ripping patches will stay on my website.  If someone wants to
work them into master I'll give them any advice that they request.  But
I don't expect to hear from anyone.

There are also a number of patches that add BBC iPlayer functionality
that also look like they're going the same way.

--
Lawrence