[mythtv-users] cannot "remap" channels in channel table for HDHomeRun Prime

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 29 18:16:59 UTC 2011

On 11/29/2011 10:55 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 08:29:09AM -0500, Khanh Tran wrote:
>> I've been "remapping" my channels with the clear QAM HDHomeRun, much
>> like most cable companies do now.  For example, I remap channel 7 to
>> be 707 (the HD version).  This way, it's easier to get to the HD
>> versions of the channels.  I copy over the freqid, mplexid,
>> atsc_major_chan, etc, but when I do this with the HDHomeRun Prime,
>> MythTV still tells the Prime to tune the "regular" SD channel 7.
> Ron did a good job of explaining why your remapping doesn't work with
> the HDHR Prime.

Are we really using channel number for the HDHR Prime?  We shouldn't
be.  We should be using frequency ID, as we do for every single analog
tuner in existence.  That allows users to specify the virtual channel
number for the frequency ID and use whatever they want for their
(display-only) channel number.  By default, the frequency ID for a
"tuned by channel identifier" card/input will start out the same as the
channel number.

>    Even if it did work, you shouldn't muck with the
> database directly.

Definitely true!  You should use one of the 3+ channel editors we have
provided--the mythtv-setup channel editor, the MythWeb channel editor
(which is great for "batch" changes), or the mythfrontend channel
editor--to change any channel-related data.

>    Michael Dean will be along shortly to admonish you
> further on the dangers of doing so. :)

:)

Mike