[mythtv-users] MythTV on a laptop

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Nov 29 17:38:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM, bhaskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
> If you want to transcode everything down or just view SD that's another
> story.

Given that he mentions "a 9 pin squid that I have used for S-video
output before", SD should be assumed.

Most of the replies on this list have been complete overkill.

If you want to try out mythTV for the first time, using an old lap top
is a good way to get started.  Don't worry about separating frontends
from backends or what not.  Don't even worry about LIRC or TV-out.

I'd get a network attached tuner like the HD Home Run.  If you don't
need encrypted channels, get the original (not the Prime) and start
with that.  That's a good choice for a machine with no expansion slots
and slower USB 1.1.  Install the software on the laptop and get it
running using the built-in keyboard and display.  Record some SD
channels, see how it looks and if you like it.  If you do, expand out
with whatever else you want to add.  Take everything one step at a
time.

Eric