[mythtv-users] MythTV on a laptop

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:46:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've run FEs on several laptops without issue, including a dell latitude
> E6550 and xps 15, and am now running one on my new macbook air (sandy bridge
> I5 and Intel hd3000). It's pretty trivial to set up once you've done it a
> few times. For the ubuntu machines I just install the latest ubuntu and then
> add mythbuntu-control-center (I think that's what its called). There's a
> section in there for remote controls and it does the heavy lifting for you
> as far as LIRC is concerned.

Has anyone run MythFE on a Dell D630 at 1080i and found that
timestretch is usable?  Newegg has these refurbished at $244, free
shipping, and they're specced as a Core2Duo 2Ghz, 2GB, 80GB hard drive
(not that the HD matters for a frontend).  I'm seriously considering
that a laptop, running with the lid closed (perhaps in a docking
station), for $244 is going to be hard to beat compared to building a
machine from scratch, plus I'll know that it's low power and slim.