[mythtv-users] FYI: harmony 650 37.99 @ costco (instant 17 rebate)

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue Nov 29 15:01:11 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:50 AM, "Steven Adeff"
<adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> we use Harmony 850 in the living room and one housemate has a Costco
> purchased 650, both work fine (within the realm that any Harmony
> "works"...). My big peeve with them is they use the horrible
> "activity" model which makes doing anything outside of the activity
> model a royal PITA. which is really too bad because so far hardware
> and ease of programing is excellent. If only they operated more like
> the Home Theater Master MX-500 I have in my bedroom...

I have a 650 myself, and I do like the remote, but one caveat - the nuts
and bolts of the programming can really only be gotten to with the
windows programming software - the java online version doesn't get you
to key repeats, timing, etc.  If you use the web version of the
software, you end up having to call or email logitech for them to change
your online profile and get to that stuff; the windows program has all
of that available.  I was getting double presses with my ir keyboard
mapping and easily fixed it in the windows programming.  It is hidden
since they want you to use the java/online version, but you can still
find it out there.

The Activity model works great for me since my tv can jump right to an
specific input, so when I change to the dvd input it automatically
switches the tv for me to the right view mode, and then turns on the dvd
player and then I have control of the dvd player - nice, but you end up
having to program everything twice - once for the device and where you
want the keys, then once for the activity and where you want the keys
and how it works.  It would be nice to be able to turn off that feature
if you wanted to just have a plain device functionality, but even that,
you can work around it.

Took me 3 hours to get everything the way I wanted it - and for the IR
keyboard I had to manually program every key because if I didn't, I
ended up with double clicks using the codes in the logitech database.  I
also had to play with the timings as well.  However, now there is a .5
sec delay between key presses which stinks when you are trying to skip
around on a video, or you over click and you have a runaway device.
Probably if I ever switch to LIRC this will be eliminated..

Good luck!

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com