[mythtv-users] Hard Disk Prices -- What Happened?

James Hall Hall.JamesR at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 15:53:03 UTC 2011

Do you do any work where you handle hundreds of hard drives on a regular
basis? There's got to be a lot of demand for it from computer
manufacturers. Not to mention any decently big corporation with hundreds,
or thousands of computers. For most of us, we have no real consistent
demand. I haven't even bought a hard drive in 2 years, if not longer. But
for some businesses, they have to buy at least 1 for every computer they
build or else they have to deal with drives dying all the time and needing
replaced. Given a large enough sample size, that's to be expected.

Even if the original sellers don't raise prices on the drive, there's
absolutely nothing to stop enterprising people from buying up as many
drives as they can before the original stock runs out and then selling them
on markets such as Ebay for outrageous prices. Meanwhile, people who would
prefer to buy from respectable dealers, even at higher prices, lose out.

Now, if there wasn't so much demand for the drives, or there was more than
enough supply that flooding in Thailand would have no effect at all and the
prices shot up anyways.. then people crying price gouging would have a
point.