[mythtv-users] Channel icon support via SG

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Fri Nov 25 09:02:30 UTC 2011

On 11/24/11 10:28 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl
> <mailto:warpme at o2.pl>> wrote:
>

>            currently I put path in form of URI
>            "myth://ChannelIcons@<BE IP addr>:6543/<file name>"
>

>         There is no official support for Channel Icons in storage
>         groups yet.  You shouldn't be doing this.
>
>         Robert
>
>     Robert,
>     It it destructive ?
>     I don't believe.
>     On positive side it allows me to have 1 less nfs share between BE
>     & FE.
>

> It's destructive because there are numerous spots which rely on the
> contents of those fields to be an absolute path-- notably the services
> API and MythWeb.  So those things won't work, and no application built
> against the API will work.
>
> It also means that your database will be broken when actual Channel SG
> support arrives, a thing which will be coming, probably in .26-- but
> your content will be broken, and it will be because you manually
> manipulated your DB.
Thx for explanation.

> Seriously.  Don't do this.  You're breaking existing parts of MythTV,
> breaking upcoming functionality, and it's definitely *not*
> non-destructive.  Given how many tickets you open, it's very hard to
> trust that your system is reliable, and thus hard to want to work on
> your tickets, when you're hacking things together like this and
> ignoring knowledgeable advice to the contrary.  How am I to know that
> the many bugs you open aren't simply you deciding to do something you
> feel isn't destructive?
Well - beside old tickets from 0.22 & older times - no single ticket I
opened recently turn to be my mistake or miss config from my side. Don't
get me wrong. Everybody who is working is doing errors. I really
appreciate devs work and this is normal that some bugs appearing.
It is clearly seen that You lost confidence on my contribution to
stabilize myth. In such case only solution is to stop cooperate.
I can promise You: since now I will not open any new tickets.

All the best for You !