[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: Is this a failing drive?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Fri Nov 25 06:40:14 UTC 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [mythtv-users] Is this a failing drive?
Date: 	Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:02:40 -0500
From: 	Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net>
To: 	Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca>

On 11/22/2011 11:02 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
>  On 11-11-22 10:22 AM, Don Brett wrote:
>>  I sent an email to Asus; we'll see what happens from there.  In the
>>  meantime, I had missed the suggestion to check the smartctl ouput (I'll
>>  add this command to my toolbox...thank-you-very-much).  Not sure what
>>  all this means, but here it is:
>  ..
>>  Output for reallocated sector count is:
>>
>>  SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
>>  Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
>>  ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG       VALUE     WORST THRESH
>>  TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>>
>>      5   Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033    252          252
>>  010           Pre-fail   Always                      -                0
>  The "RAW_VALUE" at the end of the line is normally the count,
>  and here it is zero.  Indicating NO bad sectors.
>  So the drive is probably 100% okay.
>
>>  Output for logs at end of report is:
>>
>>  Error 42 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 150 hours (6 days + 6 hours)
>>      When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was
>>  active or idle.
>>
>>      After command completion occurred, registers were:
>>      ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
>>      -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>>      84 51 00 00 00 00 a0
>>
>>      Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
>>      CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
>>      -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
>>      ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 08      00:00:03.662  IDENTIFY DEVICE
>>      ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 08      00:00:03.662  IDENTIFY DEVICE
>>      ef 03 46 00 00 00 a0 08      00:00:03.662  SET FEATURES [Set transfer
>>  mode]
>>      ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 08      00:00:03.662  SET FEATURES [Reserved for
>>  Serial ATA]
>>      27 00 00 00 00 00 e0 08      00:00:03.662  READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS EXT
>  ..
>
>  That flurry of commands all happened at the same time,
>  more or less.  Not sure what the problem was,
>  but likely just some software trying features that
>  the drive didn't understand.
>
>  The power-on time for them all was around 150 hours,
>  which gives you a clue as to when, and perhaps what
>  was happening.
>
>  Compare that with the Power_On_Hours attribute from higher up
>  in the output to get an idea of how long ago that activity occurred.
>
>  Cheers

I contacted Asus and they offered to RMA the motherboard, so I'm sending
it back.  Mark, I agree, the flurry of errors happening at roughly the
same time are interesting.  Unfortunately, I already packed-up the
motherboard, but as I recall the "Power_On_Hours" value was around 100,
which seemed unusual; I expected something higher (like around 148 or
....?).  Anyhow, I'm hoping the RMA fixes the problem; we'll see.  By
the way, thanks everyone for the help, I'll let you know how it works out,

Don