[mythtv-users] Reliability of HDTV flag in Schedules Direct listings

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Nov 24 19:09:06 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 13:48, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>>> Do you remove channels that never show HDTV for which there is an HDTV
>>> equivalent?  I don't get any channels in HD for which there isn't also
>>> an SD equivalent, so any HD program available is also available in SD.
>> You can do that, or you can mark a channel as hidden and remove the
>> xmltvid, which will have the same effect.  Of course in your scenario it
>> wouldn't make much of a difference.
> Had I not had the SD channels available, I think it certainly would have.

My mistake.  I actually read that backwards, as that you did _not_ have
SD versions of your HD channels.

>>   You can complain to SD, who will complain to TMS, who may
>> complain to the affiliate, but it all comes down to the fact that TMS
>> gave you the most accurate information it could, which was wrong because
>> the affiliate lied.  There's not much recourse against such a situation.
> I disagree.  Anyone with two brain cells would look at this and see
> immediately that this was wrong.  There's no way that CBS-HD or NBC-HD
> is going to be broadcasting the second highest rated annual event in
> SD.

On the contrary.  My CBS affiliate is garbage, and regularly enjoys
botching high viewership prime-time shows such as NCIS by taking the
480i signal, under-scaling it to bring the VBI in-frame and ensure black
edges all around, and then upscaling poorly to 1080i before
over-compressing it.