[mythtv-users] Calling all HVR-2250 owners

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 17:20:12 UTC 2011

>From several threads on this forum in the last year or two, its clear that many people with an HVR-2250 tuner card sometimes experience a problem where recordings and live TV are just blue screens.

No-one seems to have a fix for this but it appears to be the result of occasional bad initialisation of a tuner hardware when switching between digital and analog modes, suggesting that this bug may be in the Linux HVR-2250 driver code.

Th other night I finally hit the last straw as my mythbox blue-screened another recording I had been really looking forward to watching, so I emailed Steven Toth (the author of the Linux drivers for the HVR-2250) directly about the problem (see below for my email and his reply).

Surprisingly, even though many people have posted here about the blue screen problem over the last year or two, Steven hadn't been aware of it.

In his reply, he asks for a repeatable case, ideally using linux scripts. I am still preparing my own answer for him, but as many others have the same problem, I felt it would be good to give everyone the chance to respond so we can all provide Steven with our specific experiences and as much helpful information as possible.

If you have experienced the blue screen issue with the HVR-2250, I urge you to take the time and post any helpful information you can, such as your hardware setup details, any info you have on when it happens and how/if you can recreate it, and ideally, scripts that can repeatably cause it.

I suggest the best approach is to both post your reply here and CC it to stoth at kernellabs.com.

The more of us that respond with specific information the more helpful it will be to Steven,  so the more likely we are to finally get this really annoying problem acknowledged, diagnosed and fixed.

Thanks guys,
Neil Cooper.