[mythtv-users] No sound after channel change with Pinnacle PCTV USB2 tuner

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Nov 23 00:59:33 UTC 2011

On 11/22/2011 19:28, José Silva wrote:
> Nonetheless, something still puzzles me: the MPEG chip encodes the
> video, right?
> But my problem is with audio, and not always. The proof that mythtv is
> able to make it, is that it does every first time; and then the code
> disobeys its mentor:)

Some encoder devices like the old Plextor recorders did only do video.
MythTV would have to independently capture, encode, and multiplex the
audio with an elementary video stream coming out of the device.  The
IVTV devices like the PVR-USB2, and internal PVR-150 and HVR-1600, do
both audio and video.  The encoder chip encodes to MPEG2 audio and
video, multiplexed into an MPEG program stream, which it outputs
straight out of the /dev/video0 device node.  You can concatenate that
device into a file, and play it with any software than can handle MPEG
video.