[mythtv-users] LiveTV problem

Stefan D raptorjr08 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 16:02:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
> wrote:

> On 21/11/11 15:48, Kris B. wrote:
> > On Monday, November 21, 2011 3:31 PM, "Tim Draper"<veehexx at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> what are you classing as a 'bad' channel?
> >>
> >> i have weak signal on some channels and it can sometimes result in
> >> heavy blocking and audio glitching. i dont exhibit the issue the OP
> >> reports.
> >> however, i do have channels hidden from my tv listings, and there for
> >> unable to tune into them
> >>
> >> i'm wondering if you need to hide the problematic channels, or if this
> >> issue only presents itself under certain conditions on, what should
> >> be, working channels.
> >
> > I am not the original poster, but I do get this problem as well, however
> > it is rare (1 or 2 times a year).
> >
> > There is a channel that is local to me, but when it rains heavy just
> > right, I will get severe blocking and only a partial lock.  However, it
> > is the closest station to me (albeit off axis from my main antenna
> > receive lobe), and has the best local news for me for storms and such.
> > I can live with it not always being there, so I leave it on my regular
> > listing, and since it is 95% signal most of the time, it isn't a real
> > issue.  It is an NBC affiliate, but I get another NBC Affiliate without
> > this issue from another market where the antenna is pointed.
> >
> > If I tune into that channel and lose the lock, myth will lockup and boot
> > me out.  When I try to watch livetv again, since the channel won't lock,
> > it fails and will kick me out again.  It doesn't even really give you a
> > warning what is happening, all you get is a black screen.  Sometimes you
> > don't even get kicked back to the main menu, you just get a black screen
> > with no information, schedule guide info - or anything.  No matter what,
> > I will be stuck in that loop.  Occasionally I can tune into another
> > channel when the channel with the partial lock will slightly lock for a
> > nanosecond, I can type another channel number in quickly and go about my
> > business.  If not, then I have to go into mythsetup (not stopping the
> > backend), reset the starting channel number on that card, and I am good
> > to go.
> >
> > The fix, I guess, would be if there is no lock after 10-15 seconds, go
> > up a full channel number and give a warning that previous channel failed
> > to lock.
> >
> That solution works fine for LiveTV, but not so good if the system is
> attempting
> to record something...
>
> Remember, LiveTV is just a specialized kind of recording anyway. Would you
> rather your scheduled recording be aborted and rescheduled, or would you
> rather
> have a recording of something random from an arbitrarily selected channel?
>
> I think in these circumstances, an abort back to the menu should be the
> only
> [...]

Yes, for LiveTV it is annoying at most, but when it happens i can restart
the frontend. But that is not possible with a recording. And not all shows
is possible to reschedule, atleast not in Sweden.
Since a restart of the frontend solves the problem it feels as it is a Myth
problem. But i don't want to submit a ticket if it isn't a Myth problem.
But it seems that i'm not the only one with this problem so maybe it is
time for a ticket.

/Stefan