[mythtv-users] MythTV on Windows

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 08:42:45 UTC 2011

On 22 November 2011 07:45, Mark Gardner <Mark at thegardners.me.uk> wrote:
> Is Windows a rude word around here? Apols in advance if it is!

Not at all - it's just not as widely used.

> The Wiki sounds quite encouraging about MythTV on Windows, until you read
> the bit where it says most tuners are not supported. Is this likely to
> change does anyone know?

You may well have success with network based tuners such as the
hdhomerun. These should work in theory on a windows backend - but I'm
not sure if it's actually been tried.

> I’m also curious as to why most tuners are not supported, when driver
> availability seems to be much greater for Windows than Linux. I’ve two
> tuners (both apparently supported by MythTV on Linux) that work for a while
> but then just give up (TeVii S660 and KWorld 399U); I have both of them
> running rock solid with NextPVR on Windows. But NextPVR is IMHO a poor
> comparison to MythTV. MythTV (on Ubuntu) with my Hauppauge Nova-T stick is
> also rock solid.

In short, the code to interface with the windows tuner architecture
has not been written. There has been at least one initial attempt but
it's a very different setup from linux and, at least the last time I
looked, has a staggering learning curve.

regards

Mark