[mythtv-users] Fedora 16 for mythTV?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 03:01:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Phusion <phusion2k at gmail.com> wrote on Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 05:39:20PM -0600:
>> Yeah, I found that out, but still have problems.
>>
>> begin
>> prog = irexec
>> button = KEY_SLEEP
>> config = sudo /data/scripts/suspend.sh
>> repeat = 0
>> end
>>
>> The suspend.sh script is echo mem > /sys/power/state. From the command
>> line this suspends as well as I can run sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend and
>> this suspends, but can't get it to work using lirc.
>
> When you run them successfully from the command line, do you have to
> enter a password for sudo? If so, you'll need to set up sudo to allow
> your mythtv user to run those commands without a password. I'm not
> sure about Fedora, but on Ubuntu systems you do that in /etc/sudoers
> or /etc/sudoers.d

Yes, as root from the console type "visudo", it's vi, with some extra
checking to make sure you don't screw up the sudoers file.

Go down towards the end and uncomment the line:
## Same thing without a password
# %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

## Same thing without a password
 %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

Now you need to add your mythtv user to the "wheel" group.

usermod -a -G wheel <mythuser>

Now logout and back in.

Keep in mind this isn't very secure because you mythtv user will have
access to all commands as root without a password. There's ways to
give sudo access to specific commands without a password but it's a
bit more complicated.

Richard