[mythtv-users] No sound after channel change with Pinnacle PCTV USB2 tuner

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Nov 22 02:26:37 UTC 2011

On 11/21/2011 21:06, José Silva wrote:
> For the past couple of years I've been struggling to make the audio of
> this system work *properly*.
>
> Pinnacle PCTV USB2 analog PAL tuner (I need analog; my cable provider
> does digital encrypted (which I use in the living room with a STB)

Replace capture device with MPEG encoder.  See PVR-USB2 or HVR-1900.

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1900
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pvrusb2

> and about 100 free analog channels which I want to send to another
> room via wifi/myth, avoiding cable run and another STB)

Run ethernet anyway.  The wireless spectrum is only going to get more
crowded, and as eventually progress up from standard definition through
HD DVB-T to Bluray, and add additional frontends, you rapidly run out of
headroom.

> TVtime works perfectly (audio/video) with this tuner

TVTime really doesn't do much of anything with your tuner.  The video
frames are copied out of the tuner capture buffer, and into the graphics
display buffer, with little to no manipulation.  Audio is left up to the
system to pass through to the speakers.  When you are instead trying to
capture and compress, MythTV is necessarily much more complicated.  The
entire reason everyone recommends MPEG encoders for analog capture is to
completely bypass this complication.