[mythtv-users] LiveTV problem

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Mon Nov 21 15:48:24 UTC 2011

On Monday, November 21, 2011 3:31 PM, "Tim Draper" <veehexx at gmail.com>
wrote:
> what are you classing as a 'bad' channel?
>
> i have weak signal on some channels and it can sometimes result in
> heavy blocking and audio glitching. i dont exhibit the issue the OP
> reports.
> however, i do have channels hidden from my tv listings, and there for
> unable to tune into them
>
> i'm wondering if you need to hide the problematic channels, or if this
> issue only presents itself under certain conditions on, what should
> be, working channels.

I am not the original poster, but I do get this problem as well, however
it is rare (1 or 2 times a year).

There is a channel that is local to me, but when it rains heavy just
right, I will get severe blocking and only a partial lock.  However, it
is the closest station to me (albeit off axis from my main antenna
receive lobe), and has the best local news for me for storms and such.
I can live with it not always being there, so I leave it on my regular
listing, and since it is 95% signal most of the time, it isn't a real
issue.  It is an NBC affiliate, but I get another NBC Affiliate without
this issue from another market where the antenna is pointed.

If I tune into that channel and lose the lock, myth will lockup and boot
me out.  When I try to watch livetv again, since the channel won't lock,
it fails and will kick me out again.  It doesn't even really give you a
warning what is happening, all you get is a black screen.  Sometimes you
don't even get kicked back to the main menu, you just get a black screen
with no information, schedule guide info - or anything.  No matter what,
I will be stuck in that loop.  Occasionally I can tune into another
channel when the channel with the partial lock will slightly lock for a
nanosecond, I can type another channel number in quickly and go about my
business.  If not, then I have to go into mythsetup (not stopping the
backend), reset the starting channel number on that card, and I am good
to go.

The fix, I guess, would be if there is no lock after 10-15 seconds, go
up a full channel number and give a warning that previous channel failed
to lock.

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com