[mythtv-users] Atom/Ion stutter when OSD comes up. Any tuning tips?

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:55:55 UTC 2011

On 20 November 2011 17:27, Ole Nissen <mail at olenissen.com> wrote:
> I see the same and I think you will need to live with it till someone does
> some redesign work.
> I am considering doing some experimenting of backgrund caching the OSD info
> my self. As I see it, there is no reason for this lag other than bad design.
> XBMC handles quite well the task of showing osd without any hickups what so
> ever.

As an aside, I see the exact reverse. My Ion frontend handles pretty
much everything I throw at it without issue and has done since well
before 0.24 (see below for a couple of exceptions). XBMC doesn't fair
nearly as well. That's not meant as some form of XBMC bashing - that's
just my experience.

As far as the code is concerned, when I re-wrote the OSD rendering
that same Ion frontend was, and remains, a reference platform for
VDPAU playback and performance. With current master, the only time it
struggles is with relatively high bitrate, high definition interlaced
material and some CC-708 and teletext captions. In both cases, the Qt
image rendering is the bottleneck. For reference, mine is a dual core
atom, which may be key to this discussion.

I'd more than welcome any patches to improve performance, cacheing etc
- though I'm struggling to see where significant gains might be made.
Admittedly, that may be because I can no longer see the wood for the
trees :)

regards

Mark