[mythtv-users] [mythtv] New Build commercial detection speed

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Nov 18 18:00:38 UTC 2011

On 11/18/2011 11:56, Mitchell Gore wrote:
> I dont see how virt will effect anything.  I started reading that
> thread but way to much chatter of ppl you dont understand how to setup
> VMware.

If you're working on older hardware with no support for isolation, a lot
of memory management tasks had to be re-implemented in software,
significantly reducing performance.  Even with hardware virtualization,
there is still a lot of needless additional overhead in emulating
hardware.  However, the previous threads you were likely reading were
less to do with any performance, and more to do with going through a lot
of extra hassle and complication for no real gain.

In any case, it was just an off-topic joke, not the cause of the
discrepancy, and I have no intention to continue the debate further in
this thread.

> In any regard I found the setting by searching Git.  The setting was
> in the frontend TV>General(Jobs) menu.  That makes no sense why that
> setting is even there.  Jobs are a backend task so any setting
> regarding commflagg imho should be in the backup setup.

Actually, that's not at all the case.  There is no such thing as
frontend and backend setup.  Rather there is setup that occurs in
mythfrontend, and setup that occurs in mythtv-setup.  The separation has
nothing to do with what part of MythTV it applies to, and primarily to
do with whether or not the changes will require special hardware access,
or a restart of various applications to take effect.  That is why
mythtv-setup suggests that you terminate the backend when it opens and
finds it running.  Anything in mythfrontend can be changed on-the-fly,
while most things in mythtv-setup cannot, and those that can are placed
there for logical proximity to those that cannot.