[mythtv-users] Merging Storage groups (mythvideo) (solved)

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Thu Nov 17 17:11:30 UTC 2011

On 11/17/2011 11:19 AM, Greg wrote:
> On 11/17/2011 09:08 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

>>> Thanks,but what seems to be happening to me is I get 3 TV_Series entries
>>> in the play video menu...
>>>
>>> I have tried under mythtv-setup to enter the paths on one line like
>>> /mnt/video1/TV_Series/ /mnt/video2/TV_Series/ /mnt/video4/TV_Series,when
>>> I do this, setup thinks this is all one path and that it doesn’t
>>> exist...I have tried , : ; as separators,but even that don't help... I
>>> just can't find the proper doc's to get this set right....
>>
>> The idea is that it is supposed to be intuitive, and you shouldn't need
>> documentation on setting it up.  Add '/mnt/video1', '/mnt/video2', and
>> '/mnt/video4' as independent paths for the Videos storage group.  MythTV
>> will automatically merge those folders together in the view.  The only
>> reason you would see three independent TV_Series folders is if you were
>> in "File Browse Mode".
>>
> I am using Gallery View,but I still see 3 menu entries...Either I don't
> understand what you are telling me (likely) or I have a serious problem...
>
> I can usually figure this stuff out on my own,but in this case I am
> drawing a blank...

Thanks to Robert and Raymond’s assistance on IRC,they gave me the key
piece I was missing... All is well now, and I understand what my mistake
was...

>  gregL: If so, Raymond isn't saying you're using the wrong view (Gallery, Browse, List/Tree), he's saying you have "File Browse Mode" enabled,
which is also enableable/disableable from the same menus, but is
separate from the themed view type
> <wagnerrp> file browse mode meaning it literally scans the filesystem each time you open mythvideo, which is why they dont get merged
> <iamlindoro> It's the mode which makes MythVideo into a "dumb" file browser instead of building the trees as it wishes to (via metadata)

and thus it has no notion of what should be merged, because it can't
compare the metadata-- it just knows to show you three filesystems