[mythtv-users] Putting Myth's DB on an SD card / SSD?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 05:48:23 UTC 2011

In order to improve WAF I'm going to be adding a second ATSC (OTA)
tuner to my Myth system. Right now, I've got my OS, DB, and recordings
all on a 2.5" USB hard drive and I'm going to go ahead and assume that
watching one, and recording two, HD streams all at once is going to
cause issues. So:

Is any random SD card going to have write performance fast enough to
host Myth's seektables, or should I go shopping for one with
"upgraded" write performance? In a non-scientific test, I seem to get
about 5MB/s write speed on an old 1GB SD card I already have. That may
sound slow but really, during a recording Myth isn't writing megs to
the DB (just lots and lots of tiny writes). I don't care if
mythfilldatabase or reschedules are slow.

Is there a better filesystem to use to host Myth's DB on an SSD, or is
ext4 good enough?

Should I be using MyISAM or InnoDB on an SSD?

Any other general tips for optimizing Myth's DB on an SSD?

Thanks for any advice...