[mythtv-users] How the BBC's HD DRM plot was kept secret .. and why

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 16:21:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 15:54 +0000, Tim Draper wrote:
[snip]
> back to DRM talk :)
>
> boo, hiss, down with DRM.
> shame there is no way to opt-out of it.

Ultimately the choice is to not buy equipment that supports DRM.  It's a
bit difficult justifying your principled stand though to wives, children
etc when they miss their favourite program.

>  in the UK you need a tv
> licence to watch ANY TV, not just BBC channels (TV licence goes to bbc
> directly), so we're really in a pickle and cant 'vote no' as it would
> mean no tv at all, be it sky, cable, or terrestrial. the only legal
> option is to run the select few programs that are on streaming sites.

You may need a licence to watch some streamed TV content if it's live or
almost live.  See
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/tvlicence

--
Lawrence