[mythtv-users] Low end hardware/software recommendations

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Nov 16 16:21:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 07:22:44PM -0500, faginbagin wrote:
> On 2:59 PM, Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote:
[deletia]
> >   4. I guess Netflix streaming isn't currently supported on Linux. One
> > solution I've seen is to run Windows/IE in VMware Player. Would the
> > Windows VM be able to use the ION's hardware video decoding or would
> > it fall back on doing everything on the CPU? If the latter, is the CPU
> > fast enough for that? Would I need 4GB RAM for that setup?
>
> I would plan on a dual boot configuration. It's not hard to do. Install Windows first, then shrink the Windows partition using ntfsresize (part of the ntfsutils

    You can get Netflix streaming devices cheap. It probably makes more sense
from a usability perspect to just use one of those rather than dual booting
between Linux and Windows.

    Such a device will likely also handle Hulu and Amazon and the other
streaming services that you might be interested in.

    Something like an i3 certainly should be able to handle Hulu or Amazon
streaming. I would not expect any Atom to be able to handle either. You can't
count on Flash using the HW acceleration in an ION box.

[deletia]