[mythtv-users] MythTV Companion for iPad Update

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 01:07:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 16/11/2011, at 3:59 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>

>>> * Cost, if any, is TBD-- I would like to recoup the cost of the dev
>>> license/iPad, but I may just make the app free and see if people would be
>>> willing to donate a bit to offset these development costs.
>>>

>> Robert,
>> I think your app looks great and I would pay a small fee to use it on my
>> Apple devices (currently iPhone 4, iPod Touch, no iPad).  I would
>> definitely consider charging a few bucks to make it worth your while (maybe
>> $1.99 or $2.99).
>
> I find the apple world full of
> 'I'm god's gift to mankind. I've written a great app that you can use for $$)
> So while I absolutely accept that it is meet and right for you to get reimbursed for your expenses I would like to see that managed in a way that is consistent with mythtv project paradigm.
> How to do that? I've no idea!
> Perhaps the iPad folk, emails, commitment, totals-met, payment, project-proceeds is a way. In any event I think it is important for (a) robert to recouperate costs (b) myth to avoid the sullied commercial taint
> James

Out of curiosity, do you also object to the schedule direct people
charging a subscription fee or having to pay for the hardware you put
your mythbox on, the fees to your ISP for downloading the myth
software, and (potentially) the fees you pay to your cable company or
satellite provider?

Yes the myth software is free (in all senses of the word) and that is
great.  I do not begrudge someone who wants to sell a product that can
be used with myth though.