[mythtv-users] finish current job and shutdown?

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Mon Nov 14 16:49:40 UTC 2011

Jeremy Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Thomas Boehm wrote:
>     Now I want the backend not to wait until all jobs have finished. I'd
>     rather have it finish the currently running job and shutdown and
>     continue the job queue the next time it wakes up.

> I posted a similar question a few days ago.  See this
> thread: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/496572
> I haven't followed up on my question/solution yet, but there are some
> things in Mike Dean's Post that may also help you.

Hi Jeremy,

I remember, reading your post, but not the followups. So the short
answer is no according to Dean.

I kind of solved it for now. My user job in Myth looks now like this

echo "/usr/bin/nice -n 19 /usr/local/bin/handbrake_userjob.sh
%DIR%/%FILE% /home/mythtv/Videos/TV/ %CHANID% %STARTTIME%" >>

Then I wrote a script which runs when the mythtv user logs in

while true
  COMMAND=`head -n 1 ~/.mythtv/jobqueue`
  sed -i 1d ~/.mythtv/jobqueue
  if [ $ERROR -gt 0 ]
    echo "userjob $COMMAND unsuccessful"|mail your.em at il.address
sleep 180

This takes the first line of the file, executes it and deletes that
line. If there is a problem with the userjob I'll get an email about it.
The sleep value should be greater than the "idle shutdown timeout",
otherwise the backend will never shutdown as long as there are jobs in

You'll also need your own "Pre-shutdown-check command" which checks
whether a userjob is running or not. Something like

pidof -x handbrake_userjob.sh || ERROR=1
mythshutdown --check || ERROR=1
exit $ERROR

would do.

The downside is that I don't see the running userjob in mythweb or
mythtvfrontend. I couldn't find a way to add a userjob to Myth from the
command line. I searched the database and didn't se any references of
running/queued jobs in it, only completed ones.