[mythtv-users] MythTV Companion for iPad Update

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:15:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Robert McNamara <
> robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The following video is an up-to-the-minute walkthrough of what the app is
>> capable of today, though there's quite a lot more on the way.  I'll keep
>> quiet on the upcoming changes, but suffice to say you ain't seen nothing
>> yet.  ;)
>>
>> http://vimeo.com/32063038
>

> Looks good - any chance you'll add a more traditional "browse" mode for
> videos? I find search a poor match for the way I choose movies to watch.

Sorry, one of the other things I meant to mention about this is that I was
also trying to take into account providing a rich experience without
hammering a backend/limited connection.  One of my aspirations here is to
enable one to travel with an iPad and consumer content in a hotel room, at
grandma's, etc.  So producing a medium sized thumbnail for every
coverart/fanart/screenshot/whatever over a slow connection can be painful.
 All the image download is done asynchronously, byt why waste limited
bandwidth generating thousands of thumbnails if you can load the screen
fast and only do so for the items you want to inspect?

The clever use of limited bandwidth is of moderate importance now, but also
think about the (hopefully near) future where you'll also be live
transcoding and streaming content to the iPad... you'll want that bandwidth
for that. :)

Robert