[mythtv-users] Mythweb timezone question

Andrey Zhunev a-j at a-j.ru
Sat Nov 12 19:10:18 UTC 2011

Saturday, November 12, 2011, 10:31:34 PM, you wrote:

>>   I'm pretty sure my php version doesn't know what our
>> government decided - so I thought I would just tell it to stick to
>> "Etc/GMT+4". The only drawback that I see is that my old recordings'
>> start and end times could appear shifted in MythWeb. I can live with
>> that.

> It would actually cause some other problems--not just display problems.
>   Some recordings wouldn't be found, and MythWeb would request
> screenshots for non-existent recordings, which would result in tons of
> bad requests to the backend, which would result in tons of errors in
> your logs.  And, those recordings wouldn't be available through MythWeb.
>   Recording rules may not be created and/or deleted properly, and lots
> of other problems I haven't thought of would likely result.

Ugh, I didn't think about it... :-(

> The easiest way to update PHP's time zone information would probably be
> to update PHP to a current version (assuming the current version has the
> updated zone data--not sure how recently it changed).  There's also a
> note at http://us2.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php that says, "Note: The
> latest version of the timezone database can be installed via PECL's »
> timezonedb." (and provides a link for, "a drop-in replacement for the
> builtin timezone database that comes with PHP").  It's also available at
> http://pecl.php.net/package/timezonedb .  See, also,
> http://us3.php.net/manual/en/install.pecl.php .

I don't see a simple way to update the php itself, as I'm still
running a very old Fedora 13 (there's no newer packages available in
the repositories). But I'll take a closer look at PECL and will try
to update the timezone database from there. Hope it'll work, otherwise
I'd better take a risk to upgrade my Fedora to a newer release. :)

Thanks a lot!

--
Best regards,
 Andrey