[mythtv-users] Schedule a reboot of Mythbackend

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 19:03:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

>  On 11/12/2011 10:00, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>
> Is there a simple way to 'schedule' a safe reboot of mythbackend? I read
> about mythwelcome, which I am not running, but It really does more than I
> want / need.  My backend runs all the time, and from time to time I will
> have an update that requires a restart.  Finding a time when the backend is
> not recording, transcoding, or commercial flagging is difficult, and lately
> seemingly impossible.
>

> The only time Linux package updates require a restart is when the package
> in question is a new kernel.  Seems to me a kernel update would be
> something you want to be present for, do deal with the inevitable problems
> that occur as a result.

That's true. What I would really like to do is pause any upcoming tasks b y
the backend and pick a time between scheduled recordings.  Then I would
restart it manually at that time.  The problem is everry time I look to
attempt this, there is a job running or the box is recording.

So, perhaps the question I should have asked is:

Is there a way to tell the backend to not start any more tasks, without
killing those in progress?  Will the backend complete jobs / tasks already
in progress if I simply stop the backend?

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:
>On 11/12/2011 10:00 AM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>> Is there a simple way to 'schedule' a safe reboot of mythbackend? I
>> read about mythwelcome, which I am not running, but It really does
>> more than I want / need.  My backend runs all the time, and from time
>> to time I will have an update that requires a restart.  Finding a time
>> when the backend is not recording, transcoding, or commercial flagging
>> is difficult, and lately seemingly impossible.
>
>You can use mythshutdown in a script.
>
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythshutdown<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythshutdown>is the best documentation I know
>of--but is severely lacking, so feel free to add to it when you figure
>it out.  ;)  Also, feel free to upload your, "reboot when safe," script
>to the wiki and place it in the category
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Scripts<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Scripts>.
>
>Mike

Thanks Mike.  I'll check that out, maybe it will answer the question I
posted above.

Jeremy