[mythtv-users] S-L-O-W DB ops

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Sat Nov 12 18:30:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:

> On 11-11-11 07:55 PM, MythTV wrote:
> > On 11/11/2011 05:52 PM, networks1 at cox.net wrote:
> >> ============================= Thanks for the input. So I had a look at
> >> the entry in fstab and right now it's "defaults." Did you change to
> >> defaults,nobarrier or just replace it with nobarrier? I also found
> >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ext4 which says "Users can
> >> improve performance with the nobarrier option when mounting the disk,
> >> but this can be dangerous [2] and may result in data loss or
> >> corruption after power failures. To turn barriers off, add the option
> >> barrier=0 to the desired filesystem" So I presume that's the right
> >> thing to do, but again append it after defaults, or replace? Steve
> >
> > Just append it:
> >
> > defaults,nobarrier
>
> Or even simplier, just put:   nobarrier
> in place of "defaults".
>
> I am experiencing the same issues.  I am hesitant to use the nobarrier
option.  I have a UPS but it doesn't seem like the safest thing.

Let me also say that I am in a little over my head here.  I did some
searching on in the mythtv-users archive and came up with this message from
last month:

I followed the suggestions; that is, appending
journal_async_commit,noatime,nodiratime to my mount options in /etc/fstab/
Previously, mythfilldatabase took 20 minutes to run (data was already
present).  Now, it takes 10 minutes.  It's still not as fast as using
nobarrier but it's a vast improvement.

I'm still open to suggestion.  Your mileage may vary.  :)