[mythtv-users] AF9015 Dual tuner i2c write failures

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 08:44:37 UTC 2011

On 10 November 2011 23:27, William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 08:45 +1000, David Whyte wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Thomas Boehm
> > <mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net> wrote:
> >
> > > That's what I meant above. Shut down your PC completely. If your USB
> > > ports are still powered after a shutdown, look in your BIOS to power
> > > them down.
> > >

> > In the past with my tuners based on these chips, I had to really power
> > off the server.  I would shutdown the OS, remove power from the PSU,
> > try to turn on the PC (the fans would turn momentarily), scratch my
> > head for 30seconds, just to be sure there is no power in the system,
> > replace power lead and boot up.
> >
> > This forces the tuner chip to boot from 'cold, which will include a
> > reload of the firmware.  If it is doing a 'warm' boot, it already has
> > the firmware and doesn't reload it.
> >
> > You should see messages in dmesg which relate to 'dvb' or 'DVB' and
> > indicate whether it is a warm or cold boot.
> >

> I have two usb thingies using this chip with gentoo - this might give
> some clues.
>
> I power off (at the mains via a remote switch every night, the machine
> hibernates to disk.  If the signal is weak/not present at the chip
> antenna, they often will not come back online.  Also, if mythbackend is
> running when the machine is un-hibernating (is that a word :), the chip
> wont initialise.
>
> Fix for me is to stop mythbackend, remove all modules loaded when
> inserted (tda18218,af9013,dvb_usb_af9015), make sure the signal is ok
> then reload modules and restart mythbackend
>
> Its not having a signal present when its loading up that seems to be the
> root cause of most problems - but its pretty random, works a few times
> then just refuses until until the modules are reloaded.  In a very few
> cases, pulling/reinserting the usb key is needed as well but having a
> reliable signal when coming online was the main "fix".

just to be clear, my BE is on 24/7.
full power off (with usb keep-alive off) gets the usb device working.
although this is effectively the same as unplugging it as the USB device
looses power.

signal-at-startup shouldn't be an issue, as it's wired into the house
antenna, and the BE is in the loft. when i do have a working stick, signal
is around the 90% mark, so it's not a weak signal either.