[mythtv-users] Integrating HBO Go with MythTV

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Nov 10 16:25:47 UTC 2011

On 11/10/2011 08:57, Doug Haber wrote:
> Ideally I'd like to pick some shows that make their way into
> Watch Recordings, but importing into Myth Video would be cool
> too.

Those interfaces would require unencrypted, drm-free content, which
anything from HBOGo is almost certainly not going to be.

> I guess I could also use the browser to navigate to the site
> but that is awkward for me (no mouse or keyboard) and would
> be my least optimal choice.

If they use Flash video, you can play them with the internal browser.
If they use Silverlight, the Linux versions of that don't have DRM
capability so you're out of luck.  From there, you can use a
MythNetvision grabber to provide a nicer interface.  If you can find an
RSS feed with proper links, or can hook into some API, it would be
pretty simple.  Otherwise, you're probably going to run foul of some ToS
limitation against scrapers.  You may be able to wrap the player in
another page to clean up whatever they have on the borders, or define
javascript interfaces that can be used to control playback outside of
direct keyboard input.

The big stumbling block is likely going to be the login.  It is going to
require cookies, and I don't believe MNV yet supports the use of cookies.