[mythtv-users] Control HDMI output to switch TV on/off

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 14:23:09 UTC 2011

> Question is, what constitutes being on or off on an Nvidia HDMI connector
> on a Zotac board. Setting blank doesn't do it as the TV seems to be seeing
> a signal that says black screen. Is there a way of "turning off" the HDMI
> connection so the TV turns off?

Well there must be a way, because it's working for me.

I'm using a Nvidia based Zotac ION frontend, connected over HDMI to an
LG television.

If I leave MythTV on a menu then, after a while the screen goes blank.
 A short while later the TV screen save kicks in and a short while
after that the TV turns off.

The bad news is that I can't think of anything special that I did to
make this happen.  (I use gdm to autologin the mythtv user with a
ratpoison window manager, and start the frontend).  I haven't changed
any screensaver settings from their defaults, as far as I know (which
I think means that mythtv is controlling the screensaver using DPMS)