[mythtv-users] Gnome 3 caution for FC15 still valid?

Bruce Taber b.taber at comcast.net
Tue Nov 8 12:43:52 UTC 2011

On 11/07/2011 07:56 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM, <networks1 at cox.net
> <mailto:networks1 at cox.net>> wrote:
>

>     I am upgrading my MythTV setup and had to start from scratch with
>     FC15. The wiki page
>     (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora) has a
>     worrisome discussion under "Notes for Gnome 3 on FC15" about how
>     enabling Nvidia might cause problems with Gnome.  First, are these
>     notes still valid now that the release is more mature?
>
>     Second, It talks about forcing fallback mode and gives a link to
>     fedoraproject.org <http://fedoraproject.org> that talks about how
>     to do this.  Again this looks mighty complicated.  There is now a
>     switch in system settings to "force fallback mode."  Should I set
>     this just in case, or is that a bad idea?
>
>     Once I install the new drivers I figure if I don't do the right
>     thing I will have no GUI, and this problem with #$^%!@ Nvidia is
>     one of the things that forced me into this whole upgrade to begin
>     with.  So any advice would be appreciated.
>
>     Thx,
>
>     Steve
>
> I had success with ignoring that.  I just upgraded to FC15 last week.
> The only thing I can advise is to append
>
> rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 vga=0x318
>
> to your kernel line.  It seems to me that the page you mentioned
> didn't include all of those options.  In particular, don't forget the
> first two.  The last one enables graphical boot, which you may or may
> not want.  I wanted it so I threw it in.
>
> After that, I had no trouble with the nVidia other than overscan,
> which I finally managed to get right with the mythtv screen setup.
> I'm running Gnome.  I have a 9500GT (old, I know) but it handles
> things well.  I used RPMFusion as my repo for mythtv and for nVidia
> drivers.  I used that repo in Mythdora 12.23 and it served me well, so
> I'm sticking with it.
>
> Jerry

I am having problems with Gnome 3 on Fedora 15. It has nothing to do
with Mythtv. Xclock, xmms, etc. will cause the Xserver to segfault every
time. The virtualbox gui console causes the problem as well. The system
gets kicked back to a login screen. Surprisingly, starting the
virtualbox VM via the command line runs just fine. I've had an audio
file within Firefox cause the problem but I believe it was using xmms.
The problem was every time Firefox started it went off to restart that
tab causing the segfault. Firefox safe mode had to be used to break that
cycle.

The drivers are coming from atrpms but the binary ones that get compiled
will do the same thing. The video card is integrated into the
motherboard and is - VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61
[GeForce 6100 nForce 400] (rev a2).

Fallback mode can be forced by starting System Info, select Graphics and
set Forced Fallback Mode On. The segfaults don't seem to happen in
Forced Fallback Mode.

Mythtv actually runs fine and recordings and live tv play okay without
causing the xserver segfault.

Bruce