[mythtv-users] Control HDMI output to switch TV on/off

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Nov 8 10:48:36 UTC 2011

Greetings all

I'm just trialing moving from a VGA connection to HDMI between my Zotac
IONITX frontend and a Sony Bravia KLV-40V300A TV.

When using the VGA lead I could power down the TV by blanking the output
with the following in a script driven from irexec (via the remote control
power button)
   /usr/bin/xset dpms force off

This doesn't work on the HDMI input but there is a facility called "Auto
TV On" when when enabled (according to the manual) "turns on the TV
automatically when the HDMI control compatible equipment is turned on."

Question is, what constitutes being on or off on an Nvidia HDMI connector
on a Zotac board. Setting blank doesn't do it as the TV seems to be seeing
a signal that says black screen. Is there a way of "turning off" the HDMI
connection so the TV turns off?

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks