[mythtv-users] OT: ATSC "omnidirectional" antenna recommendations

Joann Bessler bessler at dccnet.com
Tue Nov 8 03:58:19 UTC 2011

On 2011-11-07, at 5:24 PM, Christopher Meredith <chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally bought a house after years of renting, and I want to do a one-time installation/adjustment of an antenna that will get me all my available OTA channels. I had done this earlier with a programmable indoor Radio Shack antenna. It usually worked, but required a lot of constant adjustment and calibration. I'd like to get something that won't have to be messed with. All my stations are "red," according to antennaweb, and are all within an arc of 8 degrees or so.
>
> Do people have "omnidirectional" antennas that are working well in a low-maintenance setup? Thanks!

We built a modified Gray-Hoverman antenna following the instructions on Digital Home Canada here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

The learning curve wasn't too bad, and it was inexpensive (less then $50 all in, the second build was much less). We built the first as an experiment. It worked so well that we gave away our store-bought Channel Master and built another to give to the daughter and son-in-law.

I highly recommend the site.