[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2_smbus problem

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 21:06:31 UTC 2011

2011/11/6 Frank Phillips <frankalso at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/11/4 Frank Phillips <frankalso at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Here is the background on this (old) issue:
>>> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3#Mysensorshavestoppedworkinginkernel2.6.31
>>
>> Thanks Frank, so is this related to the kernel?
>>
>> I have 2.6.32 (Debian Squeeze), on newer kernel, is this fixed?
>>
>> Thanks and best regards.
>>

> This is not a bug, it was a conscious change in the kernel. I think
> the link explains why sufficiently. You will have to keep the kernel
> parameter indefinitely, even for the newest kernels. I am using it on
> my backend so the it87 module will load and I can monitor its sensors.

Thanks Frank, sorry but I have not enough technical skill to
understand the link. It looks like this is a

Need I load some modules at boot?

I get my board sensors this way:

wget http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/lm90/Makefile
wget http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/lm90/i2c-compat.h
wget http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/lm90/lm90.c
make
make install
modprobe -r lm90
modprobe lm90

Here is the discussion on the lm-sensor list:
http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2011-September/033844.html

This all data from my board:

# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +27.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1:      +29.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)

w83l771-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: SMBus nForce2 adapter at 4d00
temp1:       +50.0°C  (low  = -40.0°C, high = +70.0°C)
                      (crit = +85.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)
temp2:       +61.6°C  (low  = -40.0°C, high = +70.0°C)
                      (crit = +110.0°C, hyst = +100.0°C)

I want to get maximum number of sensors, I don't know what are the
temp1 and temp2 values.

Is this a good way to get the values?

Thanks again and best regards.

--