[mythtv-users] Backend upgrade question

Matthew Asplund mattasplund at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 06:10:17 UTC 2011

I figured it out.  It was part hidden problem, part boneheadedness.  My
real problem was that when I rebooted my myth server, I forgot that I had
my recordings directories NFS mounted to my front ends, and I forgot to
reboot one of them, so it was locking up over a broken NFS mount.  At the
same time, I had some recordings that had been accidentally erased, but
were still in the database.  The weren't causing the problem, and had been
broken for a while, but I hadn't noticed.  I rebooted all of my front ends,
and everything works now, though I still have the broken recordings that I
need to delete.

Now I have the question of how to finish my upgrade.  I put in the kernel
with the PAE extensions, so I can see all 8 GB of memory.  I can still
upgrade to the 64 bit kernel, but that would require reinstalling
everything.  I'll probably seave it with the PAE kernel, install the
mythbuntu repos, and upgrade to 0.24.

Thanks to the community for the help.


On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 11/05/2011 01:25 AM, Matthew Asplund wrote:
> > So, I came up with a plan that I thought would work.  I built my new
> > machine, ran a bunch of tests to make sure that there were not
> > hardware problems.  Then I transferred my drives from the old machine
> > to the new machine.  I figured to get it working with the old
> > installation on the new hardware. Then I would do the upgrades from
> > there.
> >
> > So, I transferred the disks to the new machine, changed the dhcp entry
> > on my router to give it the same IP address as my old server, and
> > booted it up.  It came up fine, and everything worked, and was in the
> > right place.  But when I tried to connect to the backend from one of
> > my front ends, it connected just fine, but it couldn't find the files.
> >  It had the recordings in the database, but when I tried to play any
> > of them, it said that the files for the shows could not be found.  I
> > checked, and the recordings directories were mounted in the right
> > places, and the files were there.  When I checked out the mythbackend
> > log file, it said that it was looking for files that weren't there,
> > and sure enough, the files weren't there.
> Were other recording files there?
> >
> > So, is there something funny about moving the database like this.
> >  Does the filename somehow depend on some id field from the machine?
> >  WIll this be fixed by doing a backup and restore of the database?
> No.  The only thing that you have to be careful to line up is the host
> name--the recordings must exist on the recording host.  If you change
> host names, you'll need to update the host name in the database using
> the restore script (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
> , but no restore is required).
> Most likely your Storage Groups configuration needs fixing to contain
> the directory locations at which you've mounted the recording
> directories.  I'm guessing that this changed.
> Mike
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20111106/2c00c554/attachment.html 

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list