[mythtv-users] Upgraded the Ubuntu 11.10 and not Myth can't connect to MySQL

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sat Nov 5 13:22:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Robert Longbottom
<rongblor at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 05/11/2011 11:45, Damian wrote:
> > :-) Thanks Geoff, Bill and John for helping out.
>
> I'll start by saying I've not been following this, but here goes with a
> few suggestions...
>
> > Here's the latest. I've done a lot, and think I've got enough to clarify
> > the problem a bit to 'those of you who know', but I'm at the edge of my
> > understanding again. Here's where it's at ....
> >
> > Both mysql.txt and config.xml contain '192.168.0.2' rather than
> > 'MythBox', but I think I need to fix my bigger problems with mysql
> > before I start messing with the MythTV setup. I can't currently log into
> > mysql as root, so trying to fix anything further down the line seems
> futile.
> >
> > I did run:
> > /var/run$ chown -R mysql:mysql mysql
> > but this just responded:
> > chown: cannot access `mysql': No such file or directory
> >
> > Should one of those 'mysql's have been 'mysqld'? I assume so, but I
> > don't know which one.
>
> Yes, that last one should be mysqld - thats the directory name and the
> command is changing the ownership of that directory to the mysql user
> and group.  Check it's worked with 'ls -la /var/run/mysqld' - you should
> see all file (except the ".." owned by mysql)
>
> > I've just had a look at the /var/run/mysqld folder, and it looks
> > completely empty. That doesn't seem like a good thing!???
>
> Thats fine.  It should be empty when mysql isn't running (which it looks
> like it isn't from some of the output you've posted below.
>
> > Have I not even got mysql installed properly anymore?? This is just
> > weird. How can an 'upgrade' break things so badly??
> >
> > Found this thread:
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1601420
> >
> > $ sudo chown -R mysql:mysql /var/lib/mysql
> > Then rebooted
> >

> > $ sudo service mysql status
> > mysql respawn/post-start, (post-start) process 3234
> >

> > $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
> > ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
> >
> > $ ps -A | grep mysql
> > Returns nothing
>
> ^-- looks like the mysql service is failing to start correctly.
>
> > Tried running mysqld out of bin:
> >
> > /usr/bin$ mysqld
> > 111105 11:19:20 [Warning] option 'net_buffer_length': unsigned value
> > 8388608 adjusted to 1048576
> > 111105 11:19:20 [Warning] Can't create test file
> > /var/lib/mysql/MythBox.lower-test
> > 111105 11:19:20 [Warning] Can't create test file
> > /var/lib/mysql/MythBox.lower-test
> > mysqld: Can't change dir to '/var/lib/mysql/' (Errcode: 13)
> > 111105 11:19:20 [ERROR] Aborting
> >
> > 111105 11:19:20 [Note] mysqld: Shutdown complete
> >
> > Tried running mysqld_safe out of bin:
> >
> > /usr/bin$ mysqld_safe
> > 111105 11:21:25 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
> > 111105 11:21:25 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> > /var/lib/mysql
> [...]

I've not been following this closely either, but it does look like mysql is
dying so those logs will be important.

On a different note, why did you upgrade to Mythbuntu 11.10? I'm genuinely
interested in knowing. Was there something you were hoping it would fix?
Were you trying to get a newer build of MythTV? Something else?
--
Thomas Mashos